August Superfoods (watermelon, dates and sunflower seeds) + recipes how to cook them
The faithful companion of picnics, a symbol of hot summer, a synonym for August freshness and coolness is a sweet source of good mood. And not only…
proteins - 0.6 g
fat - 0.15 g
carbohydrates - 7.6 g
Only 30 kcal
A long list of watermelon benefits is due to its unique nutritional value. The flesh of watermelon contains significant amounts of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, fiber, protein, and lots and lots of potassium. The latter is required by the body for the implementation of the cleansing function of the kidneys. Together with magnesium, potassium works to maintain blood pressure, takes part in the transmission of nerve impulses, protein synthesis and performs a lot of vital functions.
Plus, watermelons boast a wide range of carotenoids and phytonutrients, including lycopene.Carotenoids, preventing the hardening of the walls of arteries and veins, lower blood pressure and prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases. Beta-carotene and lycopene, notable antioxidants, eliminate the first signs of premature aging of the skin (pigmentation and wrinkles), damage to soft tissues (ligaments and tendons) and prevent the development of cancer.
The heavy crescent of watermelon contains very few calories, since 99% of its total mass is water with sugar, the rest is fiber and dietary fiber. It is due to the last two that digestion is activated, as well as the correct functioning of insulin. Arginine (another watermelon phytonuclearity) effectively reduces the level of sugar in the body of diabetics!
Nature was not cheated by the benefits and watermelon seeds. They contain tocopherol, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and vitamin PP, beta-carotene, polyunsaturated fatty acids, zinc and also vitamin D. Wow! To good do not disappear, dry them, add to salads and cereals instead of podnadoevshih pumpkin and sunflower. Also, do not ignore the white part of the peel - it has a lot of fiber and coarse fibers ...
Watermelon peel detox salad
We will need
- 100 g light part watermelon peel
- 100 grams of daikon
- 2 tbsp. spoons of mayonnaise substitutes
- 1 tbsp. orange juice spoon
- 1 tbsp. scoop of grated ginger
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt, pepper to taste
- lemon juice
- Daikon and watermelon rind with a peeler cut into strips and soaked in water acidified with lemon for 15 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise substitute with orange juice, add pepper, ginger and season to taste.
- We throw away the "tapes" in a colander, put them in a salad bowl, refuel and enjoy the new "reading" of the benefits of watermelon.
- P. S .: It is important to remember that the full range of medicinal advantages of watermelon directly depends on the degree of maturity of the "berries". The maximum concentration of the above-mentioned good is bioavailable only in fully ripened fruits.
The priceless gift of a beautiful flower with ray-like petals shining from its bright yellow grainy core.
proteins - 20.8 g
Fat - 51.5 g
carbohydrates - 20 g
Only 584 kcal
Despite the miniature, each sunflower seed has a bright palette of unique beneficial properties.
Sunflower kernels are an excellent source of vitamin E.Spreading throughout the body, alpha-tocopherol (the official name for vitamin E) neutralizes free radicals. Otherwise, they would destroy the fat-containing structures, such as cell membranes, brain cells and good cholesterol. Vitamin E has serious anti-inflammatory properties, relieves symptoms in asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, reduces the risk of developing colon cancer. In addition, vitamin E plays an important role in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Being one of the most powerful antioxidants, it gives sunflower seeds the ability to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
Sunflower seeds contain 97% of the daily value of magnesium. I hope it is not a secret to anyone what the deficiency of this trace element can lead to ?! In total, only a handful of soaked sunflower seeds will have a beneficial effect on the work of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, will help to cope with stress, irritability, depression and anxiety. It is due to the high content of magnesium sunflower seeds as the air needed by athletes and people engaged in physical labor, as magnesium is involved in strengthening the muscular system.
Due to the high content of vitamins of group B, sunflower seeds slow the first signs of aging, strengthen hair, skin and nails. And with regular proper use help to avoid acne and pimples.
We will need
- a glass of raw, peeled sunflower seeds
- half lemon
- small bunch of young dill
- small bunch of basil
- 3 cloves of young garlic
- pinch of pepper
- optional 5 dried tomatoes / olives / capers / olives
- We wash and soak the seeds (the longer, the better, but 3 hours is enough).
- Throw the seeds in a colander and rinse again.
- Throw all the ingredients into a blender (you can add a couple of tablespoons of water) - and live-x!
According to an ancient Arab legend, the Creator blinded the date palm of the “building material” remaining after the creation of man ... For many nations throughout the entire history of the universe, date palms were a universal material for the manufacture of household utensils (more than three hundred names!) staple food.
fats - 0 g
carbohydrates - 75 g
Only 227 kcal
Perhaps dates appearances and do not differ, but their sweet taste and nutritional value more than compensates for any visual flaw.
Dates serve as a universal source of vitamins and minerals, beneficial sugars and fiber. Only 10 miniature dates will provide the body with a daily rate of copper, sulfur and magnesium, half of the necessary iron and a quarter of the daily requirement of potassium, which will monitor the heart and normalize blood pressure.
Date cellulose gently cleanses the intestines from toxins and slags and prevents the absorption of LDL (low density lipoprotein), or, more simply, bad cholesterol, which will only benefit your heart.
Dates also abundantly contain manganese, phosphorus, zinc and iron, proteins, and more than two dozen different kinds of amino acids that help regulate blood glucose levels.
B-complex (carotene and zeaxanthin) is quickly absorbed into the retina of the eye and protects against macular degeneration. Also useful for sight, vitamin A, being a powerful antioxidant, protects the skin and lungs from cancer.
Vitamin K provides good blood clotting, participates in building tissues of the heart and lungs, strengthens skin systems and, due to its anabolic action, gives all cells energy.
Even in dates about sixty percent of sugar. However, all this sugar is completely glucose, which is instantly processed into energy - food for brain cells and other organs.
But the most important advantage of the “bread of the desert” lies in its digestibility. Dates are incredibly quickly absorbed by the body - so all the most useful is immediately absorbed into the blood.
We will need
- 250 g of Caspian variety dates (they are sold everywhere in such small green or red boxes, they are not exactly processed, the price is around 120–160 rubles)
- 250 ml of water
- optionally some vanilla with nutmeg / cinnamon / lemon zest or what your heart desires
- We carefully wash the dates, separate them from the seeds and soak them for a couple of hours in clean water.
- Thoroughly finge dates with an immersion blender.
- Strain through gauze.
- Combine the cake in the stew pan with drained liquid, add a little more water and filter again.
- The resulting syrup is brought to a boil and cook over low heat until thick (10–15 minutes), not forgetting to mix it all the time so as not to burn.
- P. S .: Such a syrup can be used instead of sugar in absolutely any recipes.