How does a gynecologist determine pregnancy?
Pregnancy is considered the most important and amazing stage in the life of any woman. Many with awe recall their pregnancy as the magical time of the birth of a new man. How to understand that you are pregnant? In our article, we will look at how doctors determine the duration of pregnancy, what signs of pregnancy are taken into account, and what methods of confirming / denying pregnancy exist.
External signs of determining pregnancy
So, on what grounds can a doctor determine pregnancy? In modern medicine, the following symptoms are distinguished, the presence of which may indicate pregnancy:
- lack of menstruation (after fertilization of the egg, the female body begins to produce progesterone, due to which menstruation stops, and the uterus itself begins to prepare for bearing and giving birth to a child);
- changes in taste preferences (there may be aversion to some foods that you constantly ate, at the same time you want to eat something that you have been turning away from all the time; the appetite and salivation increase greatly);
- nausea (many women feel constant nausea in the morning as well as during meals in the first weeks of pregnancy);
- changes in the breast (already in the first weeks of pregnancy, severe swelling of the mammary glands, as well as an increase in their sensitivity, may occur);
- vaginal changes (vaginal discharge increases during pregnancy, and some women may even have thrush because of this).
A description of these signs at the doctor’s appointment will help you understand if you are pregnant. However, it is worth remembering that these signs are very conditional. So doctors determine pregnancy, based on external signs.
Clinical methods for determining pregnancy
Nevertheless, the doctor will not be able to confirm with accuracy that you are pregnant without conducting special studies. So, how does a gynecologist determine pregnancy using available medicine methods?
- Analysis of urine. This method is considered clinical and can detect pregnancy in 99% of cases. As a rule, the analysis is done on day 10-14, since it is precisely at this point that the hormone chorionic gonadotropin reaches the indicator that confirms the pregnancy.Such a study can initially be carried out independently, and this will help you pregnancy tests. They also respond to the concentration in the urine of human chorionic gonadotropin (as a rule, it is higher in the morning hours).
- Ultrasound. The method of ultrasound allows you to confirm pregnancy at 3-6 day delayed menstruation. Ultrasound is considered the most reliable way, because at this stage you can even see the rhythmic contractions of the embryo, as well as the work of the baby’s forming heart.
- Blood test. This method is able to confirm pregnancy only in 90% of cases. The doctor may prescribe it after several days of menstruation to make sure you are pregnant.
- Inspection. Virtually all gynecologists who have been working with pregnant women for more than one year can determine pregnancy with vaginal examinations, as well as breast examinations. So, by direct probing, doctors note that the uterus increases in size, becomes soft, its neck is stained purple, and the nipple halo darkens.