How to open Xbox?
Watch the video
If you have an urgent need to open the case of the Xbox 360 game console, you can try to do it yourself, the benefit is that you will not need any special tools, and the workflow itself is nothing complicated. Carefully read our instructions, prepare the necessary tools and get down to business.
How to open the case of the Xbox 360
First of all, we want to warn you that in order to open the case of the console, you will need to remove the warranty sticker from it.
To work you will need:
- a special L-shaped hex key or a screwdriver with a Tox x 10 nozzle (such a nozzle is in the shape of a six-pointed star);
- narrow slotted screwdriver;
- thin smooth rod with a blunt end;
- a thin plate, for example, a narrow and flexible metal ruler.
Instead of the above tools, you can use a ready-made set of tools specifically designed to open the Xbox case. It is called the "XCM 360 Unlock Kit" and is sold in electronics stores.
- Carefully remove the plastic front panel from the console, which is mounted on the latches.
- After removing the panel, you will see an iron plate with a protective warranty hologram glued on it. You can immediately tear it off.
- Above and below the console there are plastic gray ventilation grilles. That is what you need to remove.
- First, remove the top (right, if the prefix horizontally lies on the table) grid. Put the console grille up and look into the ventilation holes, available in a white case. Through them you will see six clips that hold the ventilation grill in its place. Gently pry the edge of the grille with a ruler, at the locations of the latches, alternately insert a thin strong stick (for example, a ballpoint pen rod) into the ventilation holes and lightly press on the fasteners while at the same time lifting the grille. When all mounts are removed, the grille will easily come out of the case.
- In the same way, remove the left ventilation grill. But in this case there is one nuance - at the left lattice access to the two clips can be obtained only through a hole hidden under the lower rubber leg. Remove the leg from the case and squeeze two fasteners through the opening.
- On the front side of the console (where the sticker was) there are four clips that look like buckles. Using a slotted screwdriver, slightly squeeze them and lift the console cover up a few centimeters.
- Now you need to disconnect the console in half only from the rear side. Look closely: there are seven small rectangular holes in the “seam” area. In turn, insert the tip of the rod into them and squeeze the attachments. After you do this, the plastic case of the console will split into two halves.
- Now you have access to the metal part of the console. Remove the DVD-drive button, loosen the six shaped screws located on the metal case with the L-shaped key, and remove the drive's dummy plug.
How to open the tray of the Xbox 360 drive manually
- If the tray is jammed, turn off the console and unplug all cables from it.
- Lay the console horizontally.
- On the left side of the console, in front of it, behind the ventilation grill, find the hole intended for emergency removal of the disc (it is marked with a yellow sticker). Insert the end of a pre-straightened large paper clip into it.The tray will pop out a bit and you can pull it out completely with your fingers.