Khinkali - a gorgeous dish for real men
Anyone who has tried khinkali at least once knows how tasty they are. Something like a dish like dumplings, but still different from them. And what exactly? And how is traditional khinkali prepared?
What it is?
Khinkali is a traditional dish of Caucasian cuisine. In fact, they resemble Russian pelmeni or Ukrainian vareniki, but still differ from them in both form and content.
Initially, residents of the mountainous regions of the Caucasus used meat of sheep and mountain goats as a filling. It must be fresh. After butchering the meat, the meat was chopped with large and sharp daggers almost to the state of stuffing.
Traditional khinkali were prepared only from meat, which was usually added with salt and pepper, and sometimes fennel, which gave a special spicy taste. Today, the filling may contain greens, some put and onions, from this the meat becomes even more juicy.
The dough should be bland, in its preparation there is absolutely nothing complicated.It needs to be rolled into a layer, cut into pieces. Caucasian women put stuffing in the middle of each circle.
Then khinkali wrapped. And this required certain skills, it was believed that wrapping is a whole art. The more folds there were, the more highly valued the housewife’s culinary skills. After wrapping it turned out a certain bag.
It was extremely important to wrap it so tightly that in the process of cooking inside the meat broth, which in any case should not flow.
Boiled dunk on the fire in lightly salted water. In general, everything is simple and at the same time incredibly tasty!
But today such a dish is prepared in different countries of the world, so the requirements for cooking and the ingredients used have changed a little. For example, mutton or goat meat is replaced with beef (it is better to mix it with pork, so that the filling turned out juicy and tender).
Bag sizes can range from small (walnut-sized) to as large as a plate. Today, every self-respecting cook has his own signature recipe and uses his little tricks.
How to cook?
How to cook these delicious and savory khinkali? There is nothing complicated about it. The process can be divided into three stages: the preparation of the filling, the preparation of dough and boiling. Let us dwell on each moment in more detail.
Making the stuffing
So, first prepare all the ingredients you need to make the filling:
- 500 grams of meat (it is best to use a mixture of pork and beef);
- 1 onion;
- 50-100 grams of meat broth;
- 1 bunch of dill;
- 1 bunch of cilantro;
- 1 bunch of parsley;
- a pinch of pepper;
- salt to taste
- To begin with, the meat must be turned into minced meat. But it is better not to use the meat grinder, as true gourmets love to feel the taste of real meat. So the fillet must first be cut into pieces. Now take the big chopping knives and start chopping the meat finely until you get the minced meat, which should still have small pieces (so do not overdo it, we do not need porridge).
- Now peel and chop the onion. Here it just has to turn almost into porridge, so you can safely use a meat grinder or blender. Add the resulting mass to the stuffing.
- Pour broth into mince bowl.He must first be heated to become hot (but do not boil it!).
- Rinse all the greens and chop finely, then add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Salt and pepper minced meat, mix it well and put it away for half an hour or an hour, so that the meat gives juice and is soaked with broth (so it becomes soft and gentle). Stuffing for khinkali ready.
The dough is prepared very simply and easily, any hostess, even inexperienced, will cope with this task.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 500 grams of flour;
- 1-1,5 glasses of water;
- 1-2 eggs;
- some salt.
How to cook?
- To begin flour sift through a sieve. This will avoid the formation of lumps in the process of vymeshivaniya.
- Prepare a flat and fairly extensive surface, as the dough should be kneaded on it, and not in a saucepan or plate.
- Pour the flour on the table (or on a large cutting board, if you do not want to stain the table).
- Make a groove in the middle of the tubercle.
- In the resulting hole break an egg, gently pour water. You can immediately add salt.
- Start gently and gradually knead the dough. This can and should be done only with your hands.Firstly, it will not work out differently, and, secondly, this is how you put the warmth of your hands in the dish, literally your whole soul. In this case, tasteless khinkali will definitely not work.
- So, the dough is ready. Roll it out. If the surface area does not allow this, then first cut the dough into small pieces (about the size of two walnuts) and roll each separately. The layers should be thin, but not too much (otherwise the dough will tear).
The final stage
So, the dough and the filling are ready, you need to combine them. To do this, in the middle of each piece, put the stuffing, collect the edges of the dough and combine them at the top, carefully securing. You get a bag.
If you decide to make such a dish at home, then it is best to boil khinkali. To do this, put a large pot of water on the fire. When it boils, start lowering the khinkali into the water. But this should be done in a special way and carefully. First put one bag on the skimmer, put it in boiling water, hold it for a while and then let it go.
If this is not done, the dough put into boiling water will immediately stick to the bottom of the pan, which will damage the casing.
Do the same with the other bags. Boil khinkali need to readiness. How to define it? It's simple. When all the bags come to the surface, they are ready. It takes about 5-10 minutes (depending on the size).
But if you do not want to cook, you can cook khinkali in a double boiler (many have such a device at home). To do this, place them at a sufficient distance from each other and set the timer for half an hour or 40 minutes.
And some prefer to cook such a dish in a slow cooker. To do this, you should choose the cooking mode for a couple, setting all the bags on a special grille. Set the timer to 40 minutes.
It is worth noting that khinkali in raw form is not stored for a long time, since the broth can turn sour. But you can freeze them.
How to serve?
How are khinkali served? They can be attributed to dishes that are tasty only fresh and certainly hot. So as soon as the hinkali are cooked, put them on the dish and rather put them on the table (you can decorate with a sprig of greens). Usually this dish is used without sauces. You can only add a little pepper.
As it is?
Khinkali are also eagerly hot (of course, you should not burn the tongue and palate, but you can’t wait a long time).In the Caucasus, they ate such a dish only with their hands, since when they are pierced with a fork, all the broth will spill out (and it’s all in it), and it’s just uncomfortable to take sacks with a spoon.
To begin with, the bag should be slightly bitten in one place and at once to drink broth, otherwise it will not be possible to do this. And only then you can eat the khinkali themselves.