Original dishes from eel
Fish dishes are tasty and healthy, but they can also be unusual or even exotic, if not the most popular ingredients are used. For example, something interesting and refined can be prepared from the eel.
A fish or a snake?
The eel is a tropical fish belonging to the family of the eel. In total there are nineteen species, and they are all used by people for food. A striking feature of an eel is that it is very similar to a snake, and such a similarity is achieved by an elongated squirming body. It is flattened on the sides, on the back and on the other side near the tail are fins. The head is small, the mouth is large and literally strewn with small teeth. Such an aquatic inhabitant is considered a predator and feeds on crustaceans, snails, and as it grows it begins to consume small fish.
The eel is very valued, considered a delicacy and is actively used in cooking. First, it is incredibly useful and nutritious, as it contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, minerals, vitamins and other substances.The calorie content of one hundred grams of the product is about 330 calories, which is quite a lot, if compared with other varieties or even with meat. Secondly, eels are distinguished by an unusual rich taste. The flesh is tender, oily and slightly sweet.
How to prepare an eel?
Before you start cooking, you need to bring eel in order. For this:
- Wash the fish well first. She will slip out of her hands, so do the manipulations in the sink.
- Then remove the mucus. It is washed off very hard and long, but you can speed up the process by rubbing the carcass with salt, leaving it for fifteen or twenty minutes, and then washing the leftovers off. If the mucus is not completely gone, then rub the eel with coarse salt or even sand.
- Now it's time to learn how to clean eels. It is necessary to remove the skin so that it does not interfere with enjoying the tender meat of fish. For convenience, fix the carcass on the board (European chefs recommend nailing it, but you can use a sharp knife), make an incision around your head and remove the skin, like a stocking.
- Gut the fish, making an incision with a sharp knife along the abdomen and taking out all unnecessary therefrom.
- Wash the fish again.
Dishes from eel
How to cook the eel? There are many different dishes based on this ingredient, and some of them will be discussed below.
The recipe is the first
Incredibly delicious eel can be cooked in the oven. These ingredients will be needed:
- carcass of eel;
- half a cup of classic soy sauce;
- 50 ml of water;
- a tablespoon of honey;
- teaspoon sesame;
- First, prepare the fish: wash, remove mucus, remove the skin, gut. Now cut the carcass into medium sized portions.
- Start cooking the marinade sauce. Mix the soy sauce with water, add honey. Put the mixture on the fire and boil until thick. Add the sesame to the marinade, immerse the chopped eel in it and leave for half an hour.
- Prepare the foil, place the marinated pieces of eel on it and wrap them.
- Place the wrapped fish on a baking sheet or in the form, send for half an hour in the oven preheated to 190 degrees.
- The remains of the marinade can be boiled again and cook for a minute, and then served as a sauce to the fish. It will turn out very tasty.
From eel can be cooked tender creamy soup. Prepare these ingredients:
- 500 g of eel;
- 1.5 glasses of cream;
- liter of water;
- small onion;
- 80-90 grams of rice (any suitable, but better long grain);
- a teaspoon of salt (change the amount at your discretion);
- some vegetable oil;
- pepper and other condiments to your taste.
- Take care of acne. After cleaning and gutting, cut the pulp into cubes of medium size. Peel the onions and cut them in, or cut them into thin half-rings. Warm the butter in a skillet and fry the onion with eel on it. When the ruddy crust begins to form, and the onion becomes soft, turn off the fire.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, put the previously washed rice into it and cook until ready.
- If rice is ready, add fried eel with onion to the soup, and pour in the cream.
- Boil the soup under the lid for three minutes, then add seasoning and salt, after a minute remove the pan from the heat.
Stewing eels with tomatoes, you get a full and delicious hot dish.
The following ingredients will be needed:
- 1 kg of eel;
- 400-500 g of ripe fleshy tomatoes;
- two or three garlic cloves;
- 2/3 cup of wine (suitable both red and white, but preferably semi-sweet);
- a pinch of flavoring such as rosemary;
- 3-4 Art. l. olive oil;
- Eels need to be cleaned and gutted, and then cut in any way (but the pieces should not turn out very small).
- Onions can be cut into half rings. Chop the tomatoes in any way, for example, in a blender or just finely chop with a knife. Garlic can be skipped through a press or grated.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Fry the onion on it for a minute, then add the eel. After three minutes, enter and tomatoes. Fry it all together in just a few minutes to get the fish a nice shade.
- Now pour in the wine, add salt, seasoning and pepper, cover the pan with a lid, simmer the dish until ready for about ten or fifteen minutes.
Tips to help cook eels at home, if not perfect, then just fine:
- The mucus must be removed completely, as it can give the dish an unpleasant taste, as well as an unattractive gray tint.
- If you do not like the smell of sea fish, then marinate the carcass. To do this, simply sprinkle it with fresh lemon juice and rub with salt. Flavoring spices such as rosemary, basil and thyme will also help to eliminate the unpleasant smell.But their number should not be too large, otherwise they will simply drown out the natural taste of the fish.
- Since the eel itself is fat, it is best served with light side dishes, such as vegetables.
- Heat treatment should be moderate, and too long will worsen the taste and make the pulp not so tender and juicy.
If you have never tasted eel dishes, be sure to cook one of them. You will definitely like it!