Properties of amazing chia seeds
How many unknown, but very useful products. And how much we lose without using them! These products include, for example, chia seeds. And what is it? How are they useful, how to use them?
What it is?
What are chia seeds? In fact, these are sage seeds. The name translates from the ancient Aztec language as "oil." The seed is usually oval and oblong, having a diameter not exceeding 1 millimeter. By the color of the seeds can be white, gray or black, on their surface there is an intricate relief pattern.
A bit of history
The historical homeland of chia seeds is South America. Mention of them dates back to the year 2600. They used such a product since ancient times, they were fed by the Incas, Aztecs, Maya. There was a time when seeds were practically the main staple food and even allowed to survive during periods of hunger. And the Aztecs sacrificed chia to their gods, considering it an excellent gift.
Such seeds were for this people a symbol of life, longevity and health.In addition, they rescued chia warriors during long hikes. There were legends that only one spoonful of eaten seeds charged with vigor and energy for the whole day. At the same time, the warriors did not feel exhausted.
In the 16th century, conquistadors burned almost all the crops, and they forgot about chia for as many as five centuries. But then small areas were found on which seeds were found, and they again remembered chia.
The composition of chia seeds is unique. It includes omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, dietary fiber, as well as vitamins B2, B3, B1, E, A and C. There are also the most important and necessary for the body minerals, such as manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, zinc and some others.
What is useful seeds?
What is the use of chia seeds? Here are some of their useful properties:
- It contains a lot of antioxidants, which are known to protect body tissues from the destructive and dangerous effects of free radicals. Such radicals, firstly, contribute to premature aging, and secondly, they can provoke the development of cancer.
- It is an excellent source of protein. And protein is a building material for cells and is necessary for the normal functioning of the muscles.
- The seeds of chia contain a lot of calcium, which is needed for our bones, hair and nails.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are unique. First, they take the most active part in many processes of the body, and secondly, they are one of the components of cell membranes.
- With the use of chia seeds, it is possible to remove excess cholesterol from the body. And its excess can lead to the development of atherosclerosis.
- It is believed that such a product is very useful for losing weight, because, firstly, it allows you to feel satiety (the seeds are able to absorb water and literally swell in the stomach, giving a feeling of satiety), secondly, for a long time they reduce appetite.
- The product has a low glycemic index, so it does not contribute to an increase in blood sugar and is allowed for use in diabetes mellitus.
- The constituent fiber contributes to the removal of toxins and toxins from the body, which contributes to the acceleration of metabolism. And the normal metabolism is not only effective weight loss, but also the coordinated work of all organs and systems of the body.
- Dietary fiber is useful for digestion, so regular use of chia normalizes the stool.
- The use of seeds for fetal health is proved.Thus, in the course of the research it was found that the children of women who used chia during pregnancy had higher test results for the identification of social and intellectual skills. In addition, these children have a healthier and stronger psyche.
- This product contributes to the normalization of blood pressure, therefore, it is recommended to use in case of hypertension.
- Chia seeds, when used regularly and properly, help reduce blood clotting and prevent blood clots.
Is it harmful?
Can the chia seeds, when used, cause harm to health? Yes, this is possible. First, there are some contraindications:
- It is not recommended to use such a product for people suffering from hypotension. So if you have low blood pressure, chia will have to be abandoned.
- Do not risk and patients with diseases associated with reduced blood coagulability, as well as those who have a tendency to bleeding. In these cases, the situation may worsen.
- Contraindications include some serious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- With individual intolerance, undesirable consequences are possible.
There are some side effects.The most common ones are flatulence, bloating, indigestion, and abdominal pain. An allergic reaction is also possible.
During pregnancy and lactation, it is necessary to exercise extreme caution. Recommendations can doctor.
If you decide to give the seeds to a child, then be careful. This product is not recommended for young children.
In any case, before using, it is advisable to consult a doctor for advice.
How to choose and how to store?
What to look for when choosing chia seeds?
- Go for the product to large chain stores with an impeccable reputation. But bypassing the underground departments.
- Pay attention to the country of origin. Today, the seeds are cultivated in Australia, as well as in the countries of South America. So if you are offered chia from China, it is better to refuse the purchase.
- The package must contain information on quality certificates.
- Also look for contacts of suppliers and importers and their addresses.
- Pay attention to shelf life.
- The price of seeds is quite high and is about 500-600 rubles per 250 grams. Low cost should alert.
It is better to store chia in a cool, dry and dark place in a closed jar.
How to use?
How to take the seeds to get the most out of it? First of all, you should follow the rules. Thus, the daily dose for an adult is about 1-2 tablespoons of dry seeds. Chia can be consumed in a dry form, but you can pour water on them at night. Dry seeds can be added to salads, pastries, hot dishes, desserts and cocktails. You can make nutritious and healthy flour from chia.
We offer you interesting recipes:
- Fill the seeds with hot milk for 15-20 minutes. You will get nutritious and tasty porridge.
- To make flour, pour the chia into a coffee grinder and grind them. From such flour you can bake pancakes or bread.
- You can make a drink from chia. For cooking you will need: 100-150 grams of seeds, 100 grams of brown sugar, 2.5 liters of water, 100 ml of lemon juice. So, fill the seeds with 500 milliliters of water, leave for an hour. Pour lemon juice into the remaining water, add sugar, mix everything well. Mix the soaked seeds with the remaining water, refrigerate overnight and consume.
- Make healthy chia crackers.You will need: 1 cup of seeds, 1 tomato of medium size, a few bunches of basil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Chia at 12 o'clock fill with water. When the seeds swell, chop them together with tomato and basil in a blender, add lemon juice. Form the cakes, put them on the bottom of the pan, covered with parchment. Bake 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees.
Let chia seeds become a familiar product for you and help improve your health.