What does a parrot look like?
Parrots - one of the most beloved pets among fans of birds. They are bright, funny, able to cheer up and are capable of learning. Parrots are known for a huge variety of species and subspecies, but they all have a lot in common.
To give a general description of what a parrot looks like, you need to understand that some species differ enormously. For example, there are large birds (macaws) the size of a black grouse, and there are small ones, approximately from a sparrow. There are parrots with a long tail, more body length, there is a short tail. However, almost all of them are bright, many of them are able to reproduce human speech. A characteristic feature of these birds is the beak. It is powerful, curved and resembles the beak of an owl or other predator. Also a significant difference from other birds is the parrot tongue. He is fat, meaty and agile.
The wavy parrot will decorate your life
The most famous and familiar inhabitants of our apartments are budgerigars. They are sold in pet stores and poultry markets, and their value is quite small.What do wavy parrots look like? They are quite small, but their plumage is rather saturated with color. The name "wavy" this parrot received for the transverse waves on the plumage. And they are located only on the back, wings and back of the neck.
Budgerigars may be monochromatic (blue, green, ashen or blue), and the shade may vary. And also they can have colorful feathering, which is colored in different colors rather unevenly.
If you have a pair of parrots, they may want to multiply. To do this, they need to create a good environment, in other words, hang a nesting house. While the couple is waiting for replenishment, the male is especially attentive to the expectant mother. He will feed her, sort out feathers and even kiss her. What does a pregnant parrot look like? There is no big difference in appearance. However, it is believed that the female, preparing for laying, can become aggressive, will try to retire. The egg is formed quickly, per day. Sometimes a slightly convex tummy is noticeable.
How to choose a healthy parrot
If you decide to purchase a parrot, then be sure to check if the bird is healthy. What does a healthy parrot look like?
- A healthy bird is active, eats well. Try to give the parrot feed, he should eat with pleasure.
- His feathers are smooth, he constantly cleans them. If a bird is ruffled, it may have a moult, or maybe bad state of health.
- The legs of a parrot should be without plaque and incomprehensible formations. If it is older, the scales are more pronounced; if younger, the skin is thin.
- The parrot should fly well.
- If you don’t know what good health parrots look like, pay attention to the beak. Its surface should be smooth and clean.
When you bring the bird home, you do not need to immediately take it in hand, to speak loudly with it. Let the parrot get used to its cage, to a new home and new people. And only after a while try to tame him a little and try to learn how to talk.
How to find out if the bird is sick
If the parrot is healthy and cheerful, the process of learning speech will be quick and effective. But sometimes parrots get sick. It is important to pay attention to this in time and try to take action immediately. To suspect that something is wrong, you need to know what a sick parrot looks like.
- Usually the parrot prefers to sit on one leg.If he sits on two for a long time - it is likely that the bird is unwell.
- Disheveled appearance, trembling - also a sign of illness. These birds try to hide their condition from the host and will strive to take a normal look when you approach the cage.
- For no reason, the parrot may begin to pull feathers on itself. So often sick parrots behave. What do the feathers of an unhealthy parrot look like? Usually its coloring fades a little.
- Litter may be liquid.
- A bird may lose coordination and fly into a glass or wall.
Each such sign is eloquent and can be a serious cause for concern. However, not all diseases of birds are dangerous, the bird may feel short-term malaise, which will not become a serious problem.