When to do a mammogram?
Mammography - a method of diagnostic examination of the state of the breast. The purpose of this study is both the diagnosis of diseases (in particular cancer tumors) and preventive research. This suggests that knowing when to do a mammogram is necessary for all women, regardless of whether they have pain or not.
Mammography: the essence of research
The study lasts about 10 minutes. The chest is fixed between two planochki and slightly compressed. It turns out two projections of the breast. It is done for the mammary gland separately, in order to see all possible thickenings, seals, possible asymmetry.
Mammography or ultrasound
Advantages of mammography:
- Mammography, in contrast to ultrasound, provides information not only about the presence of a neoplasm, but also allows to determine its size and character.
- The method informs by 90%.
- Allows you to identify a tumor that is not detectable, which makes it possible to prevent breast disease at the earliest time.
The advantages of ultrasound:
- If necessary, you can do it often enough.
- It is harmless at any age.
- Gives clear information about dense formations in tissue.
- Tumors can be distinguished from cysts.
- Examines the state of the blood vessels.
Absolutely contraindicated method for pregnant and lactating women. Relative contraindications relate to age. Without special indications, mammography is not done to women younger than 35 years old (this is still a certain proportion of radiation).
Mammography: when to conduct
This question concerns the age of a woman and her menstrual cycle.
- So, on what day to do a mammogram, that is, on what days of the cycle the readings will be as accurate as possible. Pictures are taken in the period of 5-12 days from the beginning of menstruation.
- In the period of menopause, that is, upon the onset of menopause, mammography can be performed on any day.
- At the age of forty, a woman is scheduled to have a mammogram. This snapshot will be the base, based on it will consider all other snapshots, compare.
- What does it mean to compare with the rest of the pictures? This means that after 40 years, a woman should plan such a study every two years.It is after forty increases the likelihood of the development of tumors of various kinds (benign and malignant).
- After 50 years, mammography needs to be done once a year.
- An unscheduled mammogram is done on a doctor's prescription if any disease is suspected (determined by the doctor by palpation).